An Australian teenager survived an encounter with a shark that sent him flying into the air and left a gaping hole in the surf ski he was riding in.
Nathaniel Drummond, 19, was competing in a surf ski race in Adelaide’s Seacliff Beach last month when a shark, which he believes was a great white, took a bite out of his vessel and sent him flying into the water, The Guardian reported.
“The shark just came up and hit me from beneath,” Drummond said. “My ski just kind of lifted off the water and then next thing I knew I was in the air and I was in the water.”
Video of the attack’s aftermath shows Drummond’s torn-up surf ski with a large hole where the shark bit through it.
The attack occurred just 30 seconds after the race Drummond was competing in started and happened about half a mile offshore.
“There’s no doubt he’s a lucky lad,” Daniel Willetts, emergency manager at Surf Life Saving SA, said.
Drummond was not injured in the attack and there were no shark sightings in the days following.
Australia typically records roughly 20 shark attacks per year, with most occurring in New South Wales and Western Australia, Firstpost reported, adding that two of the attacks in 2021 were fatal, along with seven that were fatal in 2020.
Lily-Rose Depp is trying to make it in Hollywood on her own terms.
The 23-year-old model — who is the daughter of Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paradis — refutes the “nepotism baby” label in the film biz and doesn’t want to be defined by it.
“I just hear it a lot more about women, and I don’t think that it’s a coincidence,” she noted in a recent ELLE profile.
“The King” actress continued: “It’s weird to me to reduce somebody to the idea that they’re only there because it’s a generational thing.
“It just doesn’t make any sense. If somebody’s mom or dad is a doctor, and then the kid becomes a doctor, you’re not going to be like, ‘Well, you’re only a doctor because your parent is a doctor.’ It’s like, ‘No, I went to medical school and trained,’ ” Depp added.
Depp acknowledged that her “childhood didn’t look like everybody’s childhood.
“It’s a very particular thing to deal with, but it’s also the only thing that I know,” Depp explained. “The Internet seems to care a lot about that kind of stuff. People are going to have preconceived ideas about you.”
1 of 5
She went on to point out how the internet “cares a lot more about who your family is than the people who are casting you in things.
“Maybe you get your foot in the door, but you still just have your foot in the door. There’s a lot of work that comes after that,” Depp said.
She stated, “I also think that I’m not here to answer for anybody, and I feel like for a lot of my career, people have really wanted to define me by the men in my life, whether that’s my family members or my boyfriends, whatever. And I’m really ready to be defined for the things that I put out there.”
The “Silent Night” star will next be seen in a remake of “Nosferatu.” The film is an adaption of the 1922 German horror flick.
Depp will appear alongside actor Bill Skarsgard — who will play the titular character.
“The Northman” filmmaker Robert Eggers will write and direct the new feature.
Kevin Durant was tired of the way the Nets were preparing behind closed doors and how opposing teams perceived them.
The Nets star went into detail about his offseason trade request during an interview with Bleacher Report, which published Wednesday after the Nets’ loss in Sacramento Tuesday night.
“It wasn’t difficult at all to request a trade because it was about ball,” Durant told Chris Haynes. “I went to them and was like, ‘Yo, I don’t like how we are preparing. I don’t like shootarounds. I like practices. I need more. I want to work on more s–t. Hold me accountable. Get on my ass in film if that’s going to help you get on everybody else’s head. I want to do more closeouts. I want to work on more shell drills at practice.’
“This was the type of s–t I was coming at them with. It wasn’t like, ‘Yo, y’all need to make sure everybody around me can make my life easier.’ Hell nah, I want to make everybody else’s life easier. Ask Steve Nash, you can go call him right now. I would say, ‘Yo, I need more closeout drills. We need to practice more.’ That’s what I was on.
“I wasn’t feeling that, and nobody was on that same vibe with me. Jacque Vaughn is. I had some complaints in the summer, and my complaints were not about just me; it was about how we are moving as a unit. I want us to be respected out here in the basketball world. I don’t want players to look at us and say, ‘Oh man, these [expletive] are full of s–t. That’s not the type of team I want to be on.’ So when we’re all playing like s–t, you know the one person they’re going to look at. That’s why I requested a trade.”
During the offseason, Durant reportedly issued an ultimatum to Nets owner Joe Tsai, telling him to fire head coach Steve Nash and general manager Sean Marks, or he’d be gone. Ultimately, all parties worked things out and Durant reported to training camp. The Nets, however, fired Nash after the team started the season 2-5.
Durant, 34, says the Nets have “been showing” better practices and preparation. He praised the new coach Vaughn and his staff and says he’s having “fun.”
1 of 2
His leadership ability was questioned by some after requesting a trade from Brooklyn. That doesn’t seem to sit well with him.
“I’m not a leader? What the f–k does that mean?” Durant said to Haynes. “A lot of people say I’m not a leader because I didn’t tell Kyrie [Irving] to get vaccinated. Come on. Or I didn’t condemn Kyrie for leaving the team, going out and living his life. I’m not about to tell a grown-ass man what he can and can’t do with his own life and dissect his views or how he thinks about s–t.”
Follow all the basketball buzz in Brooklyn
Sign up for Inside the Nets by Brian Lewis, exclusively on Sports+.
Durant doesn’t share his private conversations with teammates because he doesn’t “operate” that way.
“I don’t need to show or tell everybody what I’m doing with my teammates so y’all can pump me up and say, ‘Yeah, KD, you’re the boss, you’re the leader.’ These other [expletives] need that. I don’t,” he told Haynes. “I don’t come to you and say, ‘Haynes, write this story about me.’ I don’t do that to nobody. But I come here and respect y’all. I talk to y’all like a real one, even after a blowout [loss].”
Despite being a two-time NBA champion with the Warriors, critics have claimed Durant needs to win another ring to cement his legacy. He thinks that’s “bulls–t.”
“My legacy is predicated on what Cam Thomas is learning from me and what he’ll take away to help him by the time he’s in his 10th year. That’s my legacy,” Durant told Haynes. “What I did with Andre Roberson, the confidence I helped him build when he was in the league. That’s my legacy. Being able to play with Russell Westbrook, Steph Curry and Kyrie and still be me. Yeah, that’s my legacy. That’s who I am. That’s what I bring to the game.
“I can play with anybody, anywhere, at any time, and you know I’m going bring it every day. That should be my legacy.”
Caterpillar is facing more than $145,000 in fines from the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration because an employee fell into a pot of molten iron over the summer.
Steven Dierkes, the 39-year-old employee of a Mapleton, Ill., foundry, fell into an 11-foot-deep pot of molten iron heated to more 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit and was “immediately incinerated.” It was only his ninth day on the job, OSHA said.
An OSHA investigation found “the foundry routinely exposed employees to unprotected fall hazards” while they worked within 4 feet of containers of molten iron.
Last Wednesday, OSHA proposed fines of $145,027 against Caterpillar for not installing a guardrail or travel restraint at the foundry, which manufactures cast iron engine components.
“A worker’s life could have been spared if Caterpillar had made sure required safety protections were in place, a fact that only adds to this tragedy,” OSHA Regional Administrator Bill Donovan in Chicago said in a statement. “Producing more than 150,000 tons each year, Caterpillar’s foundry is one of the nation’s largest and they should be acutely aware of industry regulations to protect workers using smelters and other dangerous equipment.”
Caterpillar has 15 business days penalties to comply, request a conference or contest the findings.
A Caterpillar spokesperson told The Associated Press the company “will continue to engage with OSHA to seek an appropriate resolution to its review.”
Dierkes’ death was the second to occur at the Mapleton foundry in six months. Last December, Scott Adams of East Peoria fell to his death. Adams is believed to have fallen over 20 feet through a hole in the floor, OSHA said.
“Two years ago I got diagnosed with PCOS after not getting my period for seven years,” the Netherlands native wrote via Instagram in May 2020.
“I was devastated because being a mom and starting a family with @laurensvleeuwen is my biggest dream,” she continued at the time. “I was so scared that I would never be able to because I got told it was harder to get babies in a natural way.”
Strijd and her fiancé are also the parents of daughter Mint.
Strijd and her fiancé are also the parents of daughter Mint.
Strijd and her fiancé are also the parents of daughter Mint.
The real estate agent confirmed his new relationship in March —…
Strijd explained that by dialing back on certain behaviors, including high-intensity workouts and food restriction, her menstrual cycle returned.
“WE’RE SOON A FAMILY OF THREE ❤ ❤❤❤,” she concluded. “And to the women trying to conceive, believe in yourself and be nice for yourself and your body and don’t let those thoughts get to you to [sic] much.”
Mint arrived seven months later.
“Feeling so blessed to finally hold you in my arms 💕,” Strijd gushed via Instagram in December 2020. “We are so in love with you!!”
Uncuh Jahmz? More like run for your life if you have a penis. Julia Fox, who has never held back before and previously dated a certain he-who-shall-not-be-named who gave it a go in the 2020 presidential race (Kanye, not Trump), is opening up about what she would do if she were to ever win the presidency — and let’s just say that men should look out.
During Fox’s appearance on Ziwe, the titular talk show host asked how her guest would go about killing a man (standard talk show stuff), to which she said she would “probably make it look like an overdose.”
Ziwe, whose mouth immediately dropped open, joked that she’s “afraid” to be in a room alone with Fox, but pushed a little further, asking if Fox is “pro-women killing men.”
Fox replied, “I think that if the man deserves it, yeah. Why not? Men kill women all the time — for no reason.”
Ziwe then asked Fox if “men should be allowed to have opinions,” which she bluntly answered, “No. They shouldn’t even be allowed to have penises,” because she thinks it’s “unfair,” adding that if she were ever elected president, she would “give guns to every woman and not any guns to any men.”
Fox continued, “Because I feel like if they can have a penis, which is a weapon of mass destruction — it can be, it can be — I think that women should be allowed to have the same. I think it equals the playing field. I think we wouldn’t get fucked with so much.”
Ziwe wrapped up the conversation in a way only she can, joking that when George W. Bush “was looking for [weapons of mass destruction]” in Iraq, “it was for penis.”
Ziwe returns to Showtime on Friday, Nov. 18 at 11 p.m. ET. For more wild comments from Fox, check out the full interview above.
The Queens-Bronx congresswoman sprung into action to to call out Ticketmaster and Live Nation after Swift fans were left in tears by epic technical difficulties while trying to buy tickets to her upcoming US tour.
The Ticketmaster website appeared to crash or freeze as presale tickets for Swift’s 2023 52-date “The Era Tour” hit the market Tuesday, causing wait times of up to eight hours that ended in disappointment for hundreds of thousands of people.
Additionally, ticket sales for West Coast shows were delayed by three hours.
The concert sales giant blamed an “unprecedented historic demand” on the fiasco Tuesday, saying millions of fans had inundated the site to snag seats to the 32-year-old pop star’s first tour since 2018.
“Daily reminder that Ticketmaster is a monopoly, it’s merger with LiveNation should never have been approved, and they need to be reigned [sic] in,” the progressive firebrand who represents parts of the Bronx and Queens said, adding “Break them up.”
Rep. David Cicilline, a Rhode Island Democrat who chairs the House of Representatives antitrust panel, demanded an investigation from the feds.
“@Ticketmaster’s excessive wait times and fees are completely unacceptable, as seen with today’s @taylorswift13 tickets,” Cicilline wrote on Twitter.
“It’s no secret that Live Nation-Ticketmaster is an unchecked monopoly.”
Ticketmaster claimed that would-be Swift presale ticket buyers outnumbered available tickets by two-to-one and millions of additional people jumped online to try to snag stubs for the stadium tour, which cost between $49 and $449.
“This caused some delays for fans which we know is frustrating and we worked as quickly as possible to adjust some on sale times to manage the volume, and queues are now flowing,” a spokesperson said.
The periodic outages and agonizing queue waits had left Swifties — and their parents, some of whom had taken a day off from work to try to snag seats — filled with bad blood towards the company.
“I’m a failure as a father,” wrote NextDraft newsletter author Dave Pell.
“The one time my daughter really needed me to come through for her, I ended up on the outside looking in, banished to the barren badlands of the Taylor Swift ticket waiting list wasteland.”
Some of the hundreds of thousands of people that did manage to score tickets tried to capitalize on the chaos by listing their seats for as much as $22,000 on second hand sites like StubHub.
Swift, fresh off the October release of her “Midnights” album, had promised fans the new tour would showcase music from across her 16-year recording career.
Cicilline was one of the lawmakers who in 2021 asked the Justice Department and the Federal Trade Commission to probe the company’s “monopoly” of ticket sales, which critics claim leads to higher ticket prices and artist and venue abuses.
The DOJ had found Live Nation flouted regulatory restrictions during the merger “by threatening venues and forcing the bundling of artists with ticketing services,” a letter signed by Cicilline and other representatives claimed.
Live Nation had agreed to a settlement with the feds in 2019 that banned them from strong arming venues into using them exclusively under the threat of withholding concerts.
Target said it has lost a whopping $400 million in profits this year thanks to organized gangs of shoplifters who have been systematically stealing merchandise from its discount stores.
“At Target, year-to-date, incremental shortage has already reduced our gross margin by more than $400 million vs. last year,” Target CFO Michael Fiddelke said on an earnings call earlier this week, which was cited by Yahoo! Finance.
Fiddelke added that “we expect it will reduce our gross margin by more than $600 million for the full year.”
A Target spokesperson told Yahoo! Finance that the “shrinkage” which the CFO referred to was attributed specifically to “organized retail crime.”
Fiddelke said that there are “a handful of things that can drive shrink in our business and theft is certainly a key driver.”
“We know we’re not alone across retail in seeing a trend that I think has gotten increasingly worse over the last 12 to 18 months,” he said.
“So we’re taking the right actions in our stores to help curb that trend where we can, but that becomes an increasing headwind on our business and we know the business of others.”
Rite Aid CEO Heyward Donigan told analysts that the problem was particularly acute in New York City.
“I think the headline here is the environment that we operate in, particularly in New York City, is not conducive to reducing shrink just based upon everything you read and see on social media and the news in the city,” chief retail officer Andre Persaud said.
As The Post has reported, NYC-area Rite Aid stores have been bombarded with theft this year – with shoplifters calmly taking items from shelves in plain view of cameras.
For example, the Rite Aid at the corner of Eighth Avenue and 50th Street in Hell’s Kitchen lost more than $200,000 in stolen merchandise over just a two-month span. The store closed in February.